IMPORTANT WEST MIDDLE SCHOOL ANNOUNCEMENTS
Late Start Day Cancelled: Wednesday, May 7th, will no longer be a Late Start Day in the Grand Blanc School District. The doors at WMS will open as usual at 7:55 a.m. and homeroom will begin at 8:10 a.m.
Last Day of School: The last day of school for students at West Middle School will be Thursday, June 12th, and it will be a FULL DAY. Please scroll down to the middle of this page for further details about our end of the year schedule.
Please scroll down to the middle of this page for additional details about the end of the year schedule.
Thursday, April 24 – Originally a professional development day, will now be a full day of school. (A reminder Synrevoice will be sent out).
Wednesday, May 7 – Originally a “late start day,” will now be a regularly scheduled school day. No late start on that day. This will add 2 hours 20 minutes to our instructional time.
Thursday, June 12 – The original last day of school will still be the last day of school for all schools except Brendel Elementary.
Friday, June 13 – Will be the last (full) day of school for students at Brendel Elementary. Also, the last day for all but Brendel teachers.
Monday, June 16 – Last day for Brendel teachers.
Five minutes may also be shaved off the kindergarten lunch hours at Reid and Brendel between now and the end of the school year. This will help contribute to the required instructional time necessary for those classes.
105/105c Schools of Choice Application deadline
July 15, 2014 – 4PM
Reading at GBCS goes mobile. The GBCS Library Program introduces eBooks. Students can now discover, borrow, and read books from the library on personal devices at home or on the go from nearly anywhere. Instructions and compatibility information is located on the West MS Library website.
- Teachers will submit their cumulative marking period grades every two weeks for student athletic eligibility.
- Students may have no 4’s in citizenship or E’s academically in order to participate in athletic contests.
- Eligibility lists will be handed out to teachers on Wednesdays and will be due to the athletic office by Friday at noon. Teachers will indicate on this list any student who is receiving an “E,” a “4,” or a “W.” (A “W” is a warning that the student is in danger of receiving an “E” or a “4.” It will not make the student ineligible.)
- Teachers will inform students on Friday that he/she received a “W,” an “E,” or a “4.” Students will be given an Athletic Eligibility Report that is to be taken home, signed by a parent or guardian, and then returned to the Athletic Office.
- Students that are ineligible will be permitted to practice with their team until they are declared eligible. Ineligible students will NOT be permitted to attend away games with their team. It is expected that academically ineligible students will make the necessary effort to become eligible.
- Students that are ineligible cannot participate in any athletic contests until such time as they are eligible.
- A student must pass all classes for the marking period immediately prior to trying out or participating for the next sporting season (subject to review by the athletic committee).
- If an athlete is ineligible two times during an athletic season, the athlete may be dismissed from participating for the remainder of the season.
- A retained student’s athletic eligibility will be reviewed, on an individual basis, by the school’s athletic committee.
- Final cumulative grades for exiting 6th and 7th grade students and for new 7th and 8th grade students must meet the eligibility requirements or their participation in fall athletics will be subject to a probationary review by his/her school’s athletic committee.